The CreatedBy e-Festival Runs Oct 19-23
For more info visit our Elementary School page.
The Friends of the Sharon Public Library are accepting Books only which can be dropped off at the Sharon Shaw's Plaza in the book collection bins. Donation guidelines
For more information please see friendsofsharonpubliclibrary.org
Library UpdateWelcome back! Yes, we are open.
- We are limiting the number of patrons in the building in accordance with Library State Guidelines for the safety of staff and patrons. All patrons will be required to wear your mask, use hand sanitizer once you enter into the building (provided), keep a 6-foot distance between you and other people, and self-limit for one hour. All patrons will be counted as they enter the building.
- Please return your books to the book drop. Please also return larger items to the table at the lower level entrance right inside the door and let staff know.
- Once you return your items, Library State Guidelines require us to quarantine all return materials for 72 hours. This includes items that arrive in Interlibrary Loan delivery. After the 3 day quarantine period, your return items will be checked in. You will not be charged for this quarantine period.
- Fines begin on August 1st.
- The Library will remain open between 2:00-3:00 PM. Deep cleaning on heavy contact surfaces will continue during open hours.
- For more information, contact library director Lee Ann Amend at Lamend@ocln.org
Book Bingo is back!We are pleased to announce the return of our popular summer reading challenge: Book Bingo 2020! Running from July 13, 2020 to September 30, 2020, the rules of this year's challenge are as follows:
- Be awesome. If you’re not, this isn’t going to work.
- The challenge runs from July 13 to September 30, 2020. If you want to participate, you can join in at any time!
- Reading and re-reading both count toward crossing off boxes! Either way, the Book Bingo box action must be performed between July 13 and September 30.
- You may use one book to cross off multiple squares on your Bingo card. (Ex: A novel with a BIPOC protagonist published in 2020 by an author with the same first name as you that is also your BFF's favorite book would count for four squares.)
- Need help finding links to online museum tours, accessing Overdrive's Community Reads collection, making an appointment for curbside delivery, or figuring out what the Bechdel Test is? Ask/email Miki or Hilary--we’re happy to help! Or, check out our website and/or Facebook for ideas and inspiration--we'll be posting helpful guides throughout the summer.
- The prize winners will be chosen at random from all eligible participants. To qualify, you must complete a BINGO (at least one row, column or diagonal line.) Overachievers (those who complete multiple BINGOS) will receive one entry per completed BINGO, plus a bonus ticket if the entire card is filled.
- Remember to claim your ticket for each BINGO. Due to the ongoing pandemic, the claiming of tickets will be done virtually by emailing Assistant Director Miki Wolfe at email@example.com or Information Services Library Hilary Umbreit at firstname.lastname@example.org with a picture of the BINGO card attached.
Now introducing... Creativebug!Sharon Public Library is pleased to offer a new database to our cardholders: Creativebug, which offers thousands of arts and crafts workshops by top artists and designers, plus downloadable recipes, patterns, and more!
Find your next project and get crafting today by visiting our Consumer & Home Arts databases page!
Temporary Remote Access to Ancestry.com!
Instructions: Follow the link (above) and log in using your Sharon Public Library card number and PIN ('ocln' is the standard assigned PIN for SPL cards). You will be redirected to a page connected with our catalog. Click on the Ancestry.com logo under the words "Access Ancestry." Only Sharon residents will be able to access this service. If you have questions or need help, email email@example.com or use our Ask a Librarian function.
Staff Book ReviewsWhile the library is closed during the COVID-19 crisis, we hope that you're still reading! To inspire and entertain our patrons during this time, staff will be sharing reviews of what we have been reading. Click here to enjoy. Any titles sound interesting? Consider requesting Sharon-owned items to be picked up curbside!
Online & Remote Access Tools Through SPLIf you are practicing social distancing, self-isolation, or simply exercising due caution, the Library can help you stay connected and safe through our online and remote access tools:
- Overdrive and its corresponding free app, Libby, allow users to borrow and read or listen to e-books and e-audiobooks on their computers, phones, tablets, or other devices. Get started on your computer by visiting Overdrive and signing in using your library card and PIN (the standard PIN is "ocln"); or by downloading Libby onto the device of your choice for free.
- RBdigital Magazines gives patrons free access to new and back issues of dozens of popular magazines. To use this service, visit RBdigital Magazines and sign in or make a free account. Or, download the RBdigital app (Apple, Android, Kindle Fire).
- The New York Times is available for free online. To access it, visit the Library's catalog and click "New York Times" on the left-hand sidebar. Click "Redeem" next to the digital access code provided, then sign in or create a free account. When your code runs out after 72 hours, simply get a new one by following this process again.
- Hoopla provides limited streaming access to movies, TV shows, e-books, e-audiobooks, and more. Access it through the hoopla website or by downloading the hoopla app (Apple, Android) and sign in or create an account using your library card number. Please note: SPL has a limit of 2 borrows per month for hoopla users.
Still stuck after that? Contact our Reference Team through our Ask a Librarian tool.
Would you like to hear about bestsellers, movies, music, and audiobooks almost as soon as they arrive here at the library? We are excited to offer free Wowbrary email alerts that showcase our newest items each week.